Deluxe Buttermilk Biscuits
Buttermilk biscuits were always at the dinner table when I was growing up. These Deluxe Buttermilk Biscuits will have your kids reaching for more until there's none left. This will top your other biscuits recipes as this one makes the best.
- 1 package of yeast
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Soften yeast in 2 tablespoons warm water.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and soda. Blend in shortening with a pastry blender.
- Add yeast and buttermilk (can be made from powder) to form soft dough. Knead lightly 4 - 5 times.
- Roll 1/2" thick and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter or margarine.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12- 15 minutes.
Read NextEnglish Toffee Scones