Perfect Shepherd's Pie
Looking for some main dish pie recipes? This Perfect Shepherd's Pie will certainly fit the bill. This fully loaded pie will surely hit the spot.
Cooking Time45 min
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried sage
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 8 medium baked potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter or margarine until tender. Add ground beef and saute, breaking up the meat, until browned.
- Stir in carrots, tomato paste, parsley, thyme and sage. Add beef broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently 30 minutes.
- Spoon into well-greased 8" square baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over the beef mixture.
- Mix cheeses and sprinkle on top of mashed potatoes.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes at 375 degrees F until cheeses are melted and top is golden brown.
Read NextHurry-Up Chicken Pot Pie
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Jul 30, 2021
Does this freeze well ?
kmcartoonity 62072 74
Jun 25, 2017
If you want it to be a little more traditional, you can leave the cheese out, but I like the extra flavor! I grated the cheese finely, and mixed it, along with the salt, pepper, and paprika right into the mashed potatoes! You could use any leftover mashed potatoes if you didn't want to bake some up, but I like using the baked rather than boiled, since they retain more of their nutrients.
Jan 19, 2017
Are you supposed to add the peas and corn along with the carrots or add them after you simmered everything else together? The directions don't say anything about peas and corn, but the ingredients list mention them. I didn't know Shepherd's Pie had cheese on top. I don't know anyone that uses cheese in theirs.
haskinresearch 594 3530
Jun 22, 2016
I guess this shepherd herded beef and not sheep.
Jun 22, 2016
Shepherds pie is Lamb meat. Cottage pie is beef meat. I would be ill if I mistakenly ate your Shepherds pie as I cannot eat beef!! Otherwise a terrific tasty meal.
May 25, 2015
There is no way all of this would fit in an 8x8 pan!!!!
fantasysewer2000 3 620492
Aug 21, 2012
so when do you add the corn and peas...I would assume it would be after the carrotshave simmered.
May 22, 2012
I have made this recipe many times and it has become the family favourite over the one I used to make for over 20 years. The one I used to make used homemade gravy instead of the tomato sauce, but this is healthier and more flavourful.
scarlet102000 5388 371
Feb 06, 2011
This recipe looks good but I would add more veggies and not bother simmering the beef mixture quite a long. The tomato paste and beef broth is a much healtheir use in this than icky can of cream of nasty soup so many use in recipes like this.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use