Southwestern Shepherd's Pie
Take your favorite shepherd's pie recipe to another level, try a Southwestern Shepherd's Pie! Adding corn and fresh cilantro in your easy casserole recipes gives you that Southwest influence you crave.
Yukon gold potatoes add extra flavor, but the butter and cilantro will enhance 2 1⁄2 cups (375 mL) of your favorite instant mashed potatoes.
If you want to use canned corn, use a 14- or 15-ounce (398 or 425 mL) can and drain first.
Find more Southwestern dishes and other awesome American recipes here:
Cooking Time20 min
- 1 1/2 pound (750 grams) Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black pepper, fresh ground and divided
- 1 pound (500 grams) lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion, chopped
- 1 can (14- to 19-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) corn kernels, thawed (if frozen)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Drain potatoes, return to the pot and add milk, butter, cilantro, half the salt and half the pepper; mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook beef, garlic and onion, breaking beef up with the back of a spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Drain off fat.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes and the remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread beef mixture in 11- by 7-inch glass baking dish. Spread corn evenly over meat. Spread mashed potatoes over corn. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until top is golden.