Shelburne Inn Baked Apple Upside Down French Toast
This French toast recipe is fantastic because it tastes like a combination of a simple French toast recipe and the best apple pie recipe. Make this French toast recipe using French bread today.
Recipe Courtesy BnBFinder.com
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled quartered and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices French bread, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in large sauté pan and add sliced apples. Top apples with sugar and cinnamon and stir to incorporate. Sauté over medium heat until apples are limp and translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring so they don’t scorch.
- Pour apples into 9 x 13” glass oven proof baking dish. Top with sliced French bread. Fill any spaces with small pieces of sliced bread so that entire surface is covered.
- Whisk eggs with vanilla, nutmeg, milk and cream. Pour this mixture over the bread evenly so that all pieces absorb the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until morning.
- The next morning, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake French toast for 25 minutes or until bread is golden and custard is set.
- Invert carefully onto a sheet pan and cut into squares to serve, apple side up. You may add the syrup of your choice and a dollop of crème fraiche.
Read NextPopeye's Cajun Gravy Copycat Recipe