Applesauce Cake Baked in a Jar
Applesauce is such a versatile food. It's great by itself, of course, but it makes what could be an ordinary cake simply delectable! Try this version baked in jars and give it as Christmas gifts. The recipients will surely thank you!
For more great jar recipes and gift ideas, check out our Mason Jar Recipes eBook.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2/3 c water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Sterilize 5 straight-sided Ball Quilted Crystal (#14400- 81400) canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them for 15 minutes. Keep the lids and rings in the water until you're ready to use them. Remove the jars from the water and place them on a clean dish towel to air-dry (up, not upside down).
- When the jars are cool enough to handle, grease the insides with shortening and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the applesauce and water.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture.
- Fold in the nuts; set aside. Fill well greased jars half full.
- Place the jars onto a cookie sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.