14 Day Sweet Pickles
Making pickles at home is easy, and they taste delicious!
If you're looking for a super easy pickle recipe to make right at home, this is the recipe for you. In two short weeks, you can have your own pickles that taste way better than any store-bought variety. Use freshly picked cucumbers for the best results and cut them in whatever shape you like your pickles. This recipe won't keep you busy for two weeks, though. Many of the days are just allowing the pickles to soak in the brine. You can make this tried and true pickle recipe easily and they will last for years stored in a dark, cool area.
- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers, 3 to 4
- 1 cup coarse pickling salt
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered alum
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oil of cloves
- Wash cucumbers carefully. Cut 1/16" off blossom end and place in stone crock.
- Prepare brine by dissolving salt in boiling water, pour over cucumber. Weight down with a plate almost as large as the crock and lay a weight on plate to keep cucumbers under the brine. Let stand 1 week.
- On the 8th day, drain, slice cucumbers in 1/2" chunks and return to crock, pour 2 quarts fresh boiling water over cucumbers. Let stand 24 hours.
- On the 9th day, drain, pour 2 quarts fresh boiling water mixed with alum over cucumbers. Let stand 24 hours. (Handle the cucumbers carefully after soaking in alum water as they become quite brittle.)
- On the 10th day, drain, pour 2 quarts fresh boiling water over cucumbers. Let stand 24 hours. The next day, drain.
- Combine vinegar, 3-1/2 cups sugar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, oil of cinnamon, oil of cloves, heat to boiling and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 24 hours.
- For the next three days, drain, retaining liquid. Reheat this liquid each day adding 1/2 cup sugar each time.
- After the last heating on the 14th day, pack pickles into hot, sterilized jars. Pour boiling hot liquid over pickles and seal at once.
- Process in boiling water bath (212 degrees F.) 5 minutes. Makes 5 pints.
- These pickles will be a dark, slightly bluish green, and are quite transparent.
Try another of our favorite easy pickle recipes!Homemade Pickles (Senfgurken)
Read NextHomemade Italian Giardiniera Mix