Chowchow, regional mixed vegetable relish, is a family favorite in Pennsylvania and the Southeast. This Amish sweet cucumber relish is full of vegetables like green tomatoes. Chowchow relish is a delicious treat.
Did you enjoy this recipe? It was featured in a collection of more great Amish recipes. Check out, How To Make Amish Friendship Bread: Plus 10 Other Easy Amish Recipes!
Trying to figure out what else you can do with all those fabulous tomatoes? Try one (or more!) of these 22 tempting tomato recipes!
Cooking Time20 min
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups cucumbers, sliced and unpeeled
- 2 cups sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 cups white cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups green tomatoes, chopped and unpeeled
- 2 cups lima beans
- 2 cups green beans, cut
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mustard seed
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup ground turmeric
- Soak cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, onions and tomatoes in salted water overnight. Use 1/2 cup salt for each quart of water.
- Cook lima beans, green beans, carrots and celery until barely tender, likely less than 10 minutes. Drain all vegetables well.
- Mix soaked and cooked vegetables with celery seed, mustard seed, cider vinegar, sugar and turmeric. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- While hot, place is sterilized jars and seal at once.