- Take 1 lb / 450g of the best quality unsalted butter that you can
- find. Put it in a heavy, smallish pot and let it melt over a low
- flame. Soon it will begin to simmer. Let it simmer on low heat
- for 10-45 minutes (timing really depends upon the amount of water
- in the butter), or until the milky solids turn brownish and either
- cling to the sides of the pot or else fall to the bottom. Because
- you have to boil all the water away without letting the butter
- brown, you must watch it, especially toward the end of the cooking
- time. Now strain the ghee through a quadrupled layer of cheesecloth.
- Homemade ghee is best stored covered in the refrigerator. Unlike
- butter, it will not spoil.