Aloo Achar (small Diced Potatoes with Lemon or Mango Pickle)
This potato recipe is made unique by the addition of lemon or mango pickles, which are traditional accompaniments to many meals in the Indian subcontinent. Aloo Achar is easy to prepare and makes a great main course or side dish.
- 700g peeled potatoes (aloo)
- salt to taste (namak)
- 1 turmeric (haldi)
- 1 nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/2 C finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (hara dhania)
- 2 finely sliced green chillies (hari mirch)
- 2-3 tbsp lemon or mango pickle (achar)
1. Dice the potatoes into 12mm (1/2") cubes and cook them in only a little water (such that it should have evaporated by the time that the potatoes are cooked) with salt, turmeric and nigella seeds.
2. When the potatoes are almost cooked, stir in the fresh coriander and green chillies. Chop up any large pieces of lemon or mango in the pickle and mix it with the potatoes about a minute or so before taking them off the heat to serve.