Halloween recipes can be a blast to make with the family. So get your kids excited and break away from the sweet for a bit with these Eyeball Sub sandwiches. I can't decide if they are cute or creepy but I love them.
For more Halloween recipes see our latest free to download eCookbook collection, 23 Spooky Halloween Recipe Ideas
- 1/2 cup drained canned cannellini beans or other white beans
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 8 pitted colossal green olives, cut in 3 round slices
- 2 cans (15-ounce each) tomato sauce with Italian herbs
- 1 -2 small black olives, cut in 1/4-inch dice, you will need 24 pieces
- 12 small club rolls (about 5-inches long), split
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mash the beans with a fork, potato masher or food processor until completely smooth.
- Mix with egg, ketchup, apple butter and soy sauce.
- Mix into the ground turkey using your hands until completely incorporated.
- Wet your hands with cold water, form 24, 1-1/2-inch meatballs, and put them on 2 sheet pans leaving plenty of space in between.
- Push a green olive ring deeply into the center of each meatball, with the circular side facing up.
- Mold the meat around the olive into a football shape so that each meatball looks like an eye.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- While the eyeballs are cooking heat the tomato sauce in a saucepan until simmering, and keep warm.
- Remove eyeballs from the oven. Dab away any juice from the top with a paper towel and insert a piece of black olive into the hole in the center of each green olive giving each eye a dark pupil.
- To serve: Spoon 1/4 cup sauce in each roll, top with 2 tablespoons cheese and insert 2 eyeballs side-by-side staring out from each roll.