The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
Homemade French Fried Onions
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Whether you make these homemade onion strings for a tasty snack or casserole topper, they're always a hit. You won't believe how easy it is to learn How to Make French Fried Onions! With just 5 main ingredients, you can make these delicious fried onion rings that are perfect on a green bean casserole, on top of mashed potatoes, served with a dipping sauce, or even on top a juicy burger.
There are three tricks to making perfect French fried onions every time: cut the onions thinly with a sharp knife, soak them in buttermilk for at least an hour before frying, and make sure your oil reaches 375 degrees F. If you follow these easy steps, you'll have picture perfect homemade French fried onions that will make you feel like a restaurant chef. Follow the simple step-by-step below to learn how, plus watch our short video for a visual tutorial!
How to Make French Fried Onions
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 quart canola oil (about 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- With a sharp knife, slice the onion into very thin rings. Place onions in a bowl with buttermilk. Cover and soak for at least an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan until it reaches 375 degrees F, using a candy or oil thermometer to measure.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Working in batches, use tongs to grab a handful of onions and place them in the flour, coating well. Shake off excess flour and plunge into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining onions. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve immediately.
Substitute homemade French fried onions in this delicious, classic green bean casserole recipe!
Plus Don't Miss:
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
How to Boil Perfect Eggs
How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
21 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
How did Funeral Potatoes get Their Name?
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Printable Freezer Meal Labels
How to Cook Steak in the Oven
How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes