The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
Homemade French Fried Onions
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Whether you make these homemade onion strings for a tasty snack or casserole topper, they're always a hit. You won't believe how easy it is to learn How to Make French Fried Onions! With just 5 main ingredients, you can make these delicious fried onion rings that are perfect on a green bean casserole, on top of mashed potatoes, served with a dipping sauce, or even on top a juicy burger.
There are three tricks to making perfect French fried onions every time: cut the onions thinly with a sharp knife, soak them in buttermilk for at least an hour before frying, and make sure your oil reaches 375 degrees F. If you follow these easy steps, you'll have picture perfect homemade French fried onions that will make you feel like a restaurant chef. Follow the simple step-by-step below to learn how, plus watch our short video for a visual tutorial!
How to Make French Fried Onions
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 quart canola oil (about 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- With a sharp knife, slice the onion into very thin rings. Place onions in a bowl with buttermilk. Cover and soak for at least an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan until it reaches 375 degrees F, using a candy or oil thermometer to measure.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Working in batches, use tongs to grab a handful of onions and place them in the flour, coating well. Shake off excess flour and plunge into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining onions. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve immediately.
Substitute homemade French fried onions in this delicious, classic green bean casserole recipe!
Plus Don't Miss:
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
With just the right amount of sweet and savory, along with a great crunch throughout, this Golden Raisin Broccoli Salad is sure to be… Continue reading: "Golden Raisin and Broccoli Saladvideocam"
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- Do You Peel Zucchini?
- How to Freeze Eggs
- How to Drain Ground Beef
- Easy Peasy (You Know the Rest): Convert Lemons into Juice
- How to Store Cut Onions
- Guide to Ground Beef: How to Buy, Store, and Cook Beef
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Fried Spanish Tomatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Baked Potato on the Log Burner
- Pasta Alla Norma (Sicilian Eggplant And Tomato Pasta)
- Peppermint Dipped OREOS
- Breakfast Sliders
- Tic Tac Toe Rice Krispie Treats
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes