Homemade French Fried Onions
Whether you make these homemade onion strings for a tasty snack or casserole topper, they're always a hit. You won't believe how easy it is to learn How to Make French Fried Onions! With just 5 main ingredients, you can make these delicious fried onion rings that are perfect on a green bean casserole, on top of mashed potatoes, served with a dipping sauce, or even on top a juicy burger.
There are three tricks to making perfect French fried onions every time: cut the onions thinly with a sharp knife, soak them in buttermilk for at least an hour before frying, and make sure your oil reaches 375 degrees F. If you follow these easy steps, you'll have picture perfect homemade French fried onions that will make you feel like a restaurant chef. Follow the simple step-by-step below to learn how, plus watch our short video for a visual tutorial!
How to Make French Fried Onions
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 quart canola oil (about 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- With a sharp knife, slice the onion into very thin rings. Place onions in a bowl with buttermilk. Cover and soak for at least an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan until it reaches 375 degrees F, using a candy or oil thermometer to measure.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Working in batches, use tongs to grab a handful of onions and place them in the flour, coating well. Shake off excess flour and plunge into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining onions. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve immediately.
Substitute homemade French fried onions in this delicious, classic green bean casserole recipe!
Plus Don't Miss: