Mexican Chocolate Cake
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a fabulous chocolate cake that everyone will love. This moist cake is flavored with coffee, cinnamon and almond and topped with a fluffy Kahlua cream.
LIke this recipe? Be sure to download the Free 27 Simple Mexican Recipes eCookbook today!
Cooking Time35 min
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Grease 2 eight inch cake pans.
- In microwave or small sauce pan melt the chocolate in the water and stir in the coffee. Whisk together.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla and almond extract. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold them into the butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk and chocolate mixtures.
- Pour into cake pans and bake at 350 degrees F for about 35 minutes or until a tester is clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans and turn out onto cake rack to cool thoroughly. Cover with whipped cream flavored with a little Kahlua.
Read Next1950s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake