Authentic Texas Red Chili
This authentic chili is one of the best Texas chili recipes around. Give this very quick and easy chili recipe a try today and your taste buds will not be disappointed.
- 3 Ancho Chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 pound beef chuck roast, trim of fat cut into a dice
- 1 1/2 pound lean pork, cut in dice
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 pound bacon, diced
- Dash cider vinegar
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 28 ounces can tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- Roast cumin seeds for 10 minutes in a 375 degree F oven. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a large kettle and saute the bacon until clear. Brown the meats first, drain off the fat, and then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 3-4 hours on low, adding tomato sauce, beef stock or water if it seems dry.
- Correct seasonings and add the cooked beans and tomato sauce, cook for 1-2 more hours on low.
- Prepare chilies by cracking them open and removing seeds and veins and stems. Cover with hot water. Soak for 1 hour. Drain, but reserve the soaking liquid.
- Place pepper skins in blender and add enough of the water so that the total amount in the blender is 2 cups. Add 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 teaspoon salt, and blend until thick and smooth to make Ancho Chili paste.
- Add chili paste to the chili.
Read NextElizabeth Taylor's Favorite Chili