Authentic Texas Red Chili
This authentic chili is one of the best Texas chili recipes around. Give this very quick and easy chili recipe a try today and your taste buds will not be disappointed.
- 3 Ancho Chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 pound beef chuck roast, trim of fat cut into a dice
- 1 1/2 pound lean pork, cut in dice
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 pound bacon, diced
- Dash cider vinegar
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 28 ounces can tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- Roast cumin seeds for 10 minutes in a 375 degree F oven. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a large kettle and saute the bacon until clear. Brown the meats first, drain off the fat, and then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 3-4 hours on low, adding tomato sauce, beef stock or water if it seems dry.
- Correct seasonings and add the cooked beans and tomato sauce, cook for 1-2 more hours on low.
- Prepare chilies by cracking them open and removing seeds and veins and stems. Cover with hot water. Soak for 1 hour. Drain, but reserve the soaking liquid.
- Place pepper skins in blender and add enough of the water so that the total amount in the blender is 2 cups. Add 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 teaspoon salt, and blend until thick and smooth to make Ancho Chili paste.
- Add chili paste to the chili.
Read NextCowboy Chili
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Dec 01, 2011
@weaponx88, We've updated the recipe; we apologize for any confusion! --editors of RecipeLion
Nov 30, 2011
Seriously...are these recipes even screened? What the heck is a "batch of ancho chili paste?" A cup...a spoon.....a quart......a gallon????????
May 05, 2011
Hello LoreTex, Thanks for your comment and feedback. This was a reader submitted recipe and their take on a chili recipe of which they designated as authentic Texas chili. We certainly don't mind hearing different opinions on the matter! If you have any recipes you'd love to submit to show your version of authentic, we'd love to see them!
May 04, 2011
Sorry, but this is not authentic Texas red chili. True Texas chili does not include beans of any kind, nor chunks of anything except the tiny chunks of tender beef. Texas chili uses a variety of homemade powdered spices in addition to the beef to give it that unique silky mouth feel.
Oct 27, 2010
This appears to be a do-able recipe. What peppers (are there three?) that you use to make the chili paste? Jack C.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use