Amish Cabbage Casserole
Amish Cabbage Casserole is a simple hearty dish that will fill any appetite. Made with fresh cabbage, every bite brings the comfort of home. Amish cooking is always perfect for a simple yet delicious dish.
- 1 medium green cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine cabbage wedges and water in a large saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes. Drain well, and place cabbage wedges in a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook over low heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the salt and pepper. Pour mixture over cabbage, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Combine cheese, mayonnaise, chili sauce, onion, and green bell pepper; stir well, and spread over cabbage. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.