Southwest Skillet Shepherd's Pie
Creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes are a family favorite, especially when they're served on top of this flavorful Southwestern-style skillet dish. Packed with beef, beans, corn and tomatoes ground beef recipes have never been so good.
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time25 min
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16-ounces) baked beans
- 1 can (11-ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 package of Idahoan Original or Flavored mashed potatoes, prepared according to package directions po
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and onion and cook until the beef is well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
Stir the chili powder in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and corn and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir the cheese and cilantro into the prepared mashed potatoes. Spoon the potatoes over the beef mixture.
Read NextOld Fashioned Beef and Noodles