Best Braised Short Ribs
There's nothing like a good homemade rib recipe. These tasty braised short ribs come from Leanne at Around the Table and are simply mouth watering. Succulent and tender, the ribs are slowly cooked so the meat falls right off the bone. Drizzled with a homemade sauce, they're too good to pass up.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds short ribs, in 1 long piece of at least in parts
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1/2 head of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cup organic beef stock
- 4 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil, and brown on all sides.
- Place the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and tomato into a food processor and blend until you reach a consistent, smooth pulp.
- Take a large Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Add a 3-count of extra-virgin olive oil and add the thyme to infuse the oil. Next add the vegetable pulp, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour in the red wine and stock and bring it to a boil.
- Using tongs take the ribs and nestle them into the braising mix; the liquid should just about cover the meat. Place the lid loosely on top, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- When the ribs are about finished, remove about 1 to 2 cups of liquid and strain into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat the sauce until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Nov 30, 2018
Can I pick my chin up off from the floor now? These short ribs sound amazing. My favorite part is that you use herbs and spices instead of relying on a mix that you can buy in the store to get the flavors. I love homemade blends best. They are closer to my preferences.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use