Baked Acorn Squash with Garlic Herb Crust
Unearth a cornucopia of autumnal culinary delights with this casserole. The recipe's huge portions and hearty, comforting taste ensure that you'll be coming back for seconds...and thirds!
- 2 acorn squash, peeled, halved, seeded and cut crosswise in 1/8
- 2 butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and cut crosswise in 1/8
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled, halved and cut crosswise into 1/8
- 2 tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/8
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh horseradish, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- lemon zest, from 2 lemons
1. Finely grate zest from 2 lemons. Starting and ending with acorn squash, arrange squashes, potatoes and tomatoes in alternating layers in a greased 4-qt. casserole, lightly seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Combine chicken stock, cream, garlic, horseradish and thyme in saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2. Simmer until reduced by half and pour over squash. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Spread Garlic-Herb Crust evenly over surface of casserole. Bake uncovered 10-15 minutes more.
To make GARLIC-HERB CRUST: Toss together bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, caraway seeds, sesame seeds, thyme, chives, rosemary, mint, garlic and lemon zest.
Read NextPickled Onions