Holiday Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
Holiday Green Bean Casserole From Scratch is a gourmet and non traditional green bean casserole recipe, which is often made with store-bought canned soup. This Thanksgiving green bean casserole recipe is sure to be a hit.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 1 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 10 ounces mushrooms (use a combination of any you like)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3/4 cup soy creamer
- 1 1/2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (3-ounce) can of French fried onions
- Bring the water to boil in a large pot.
- While it’s heating, cut up the beans.
- Add the salt and beans to the boiling water.
- Cover and cook for 6 minutes.
- Drain beans in a colander, and then spray for a minute with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Let them drain in the colander, shaking every now and then to get off all the water.
- Trim and discard the mushroom stems and chop the mushrooms into pieces.
- Spray a non-stick pan with canola oil and heat it.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices.
- Whisk the flour into the vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms along with the sherry.
- Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Add the soy creamer and simmer until thick, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings and stir in the beans.
- Put the bread, margarine, salt, and pepper into a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Pour into a bowl and add the onions.
- Stir to combine.
TO ASSEMBLE CASSEROLE:
- Put the green beans into an oiled casserole dish and top with the onion mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
- If you are not serving this right away, refrigerate the topping separately.
- Bring to room temperature before sprinkling the topping on the casserole and baking for about 20 minutes or until hot throughout.