Zesty Cream of Pumpkin Soup
There's something unexpected about cooking pumpkin recipes with curry powder, but it works beautifully in this zesty Fall soup. The combination of curry powder and walnut oil give this delicious soup a unique flavor that is sure to become an Autumn favorite.
To check out more perfect pumpkin recipes, see our collection here.
See this recipe and more in 55 Awesome Pumpkin Recipes.
Cooking Time50 min
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, roughly diced
- 4 cups pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh)
- 3 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups milk and/or whipping cream
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and salt and continue to cook, stirring, another 15 minutes for fresh pumpkin, 5 minutes for canned.
- Add the stock, salt, coriander, curry and pepper.
- Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Combine purée, milk and walnut oil.
- Cover, bring to the boil and cook 2 minutes. Serve piping hot.