Amish Style Chow Chow
Authentic Amish recipes have a special place in my heart. Growing up on the farm, my mother used to make this Amish Style Chow Chow all of the time and received no complaints from me. It has so much flavor, you'll love it!
- 1 gallon cabbage
- 12 onions
- 12 green peppers
- 12 red peppers
- 2 quarts green tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 tablespoon tumeric
- 4 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons mixed whole spices
- 1 gallon vinegar
- Chop onions and peppers. Mix all vegetables with 1/2 cup of salt. Let stand overnight.
- Drain. Tie the mixed whole spices in a bag and add it and sugar to vinegar. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer until hot and well-seasoned. Remove spice bag.
- Pack hot into jars and seal at once. Do not boil as vegetables will not be crisp.