For the Love of Chocolate Cream Pie
There are lots of great chocolate dessert recipes out there, but it's hard to trump the delicious flavors in this amazing chocolate cream pie. Made with rich dark chocolate and topped with a fluffy and delicious meringue, For the Love of Chocolate Cream Pie is one of our absolute favorites. The smooth filling is addictive. If you don't feel like making a meringue, you could top the pie with Cool Whip. Make it for an after-dinner treat or bring it to a potluck. Your family and friends are sure to give you some rave reviews.
After you separate the yolks from the egg whites in step 2, feel free to use the egg whites to make an egg white meringue topping instead of topping the pie with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
Chilling Time12 hr
Cooking MethodNo Bake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or 3/4 teaspoon vanilla and 3/4 teaspoon almond extract)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 baked pastry shell
- For the filling, in a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch or flour. Gradually stir in milk and unsweetened chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Separate egg yolks from whites; dispose of egg whites or save them to make a meringue. Beat egg yolks lightly with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into yolks.
- Return all to saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine or butter and vanilla.
- Pour the hot filling into the baked pastry shell. If making a meringue, chill pie in refrigerator for 1 hour before topping with meringue. Then return pie to refrigerator.
- Chill pie in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. If you didn't make a meringue, top with Cool Whip or whipped cream before serving.
Read NextOld Fashioned Funeral Pie
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Dec 30, 2017
My oldest son will only eat chocolate pie. He doesn't like any other kind of pie. I made this pie for him at Christmas dinner, and he loved it. He told me that it was the best chocolate pie he had ever had. I guess this will be a new favorite for holiday pies. I didn't make a meringue. I just put whipped cream on top at the time of serving.
Nov 10, 2014
DO NOT chill the pie before topping with meringue. Meringue is always put on hot filling, then put in a hot oven to brown.
Oct 09, 2014
This pie was a lot easier to make than I thought. I've never made a cream pie before so I was a little intimidated. Also, I made the pie in a graham cracker crust rather than a pastry crust and I loved the way it tasted. Next time, I'll break up the chocolate more than just breaking it apart where it's supposed to. It took a lot longer to melt than I thought and I think my filling ended up a little chunky. Other than that, I'm a fan.
FaveCrafts Editor JL
Oct 07, 2014
I'm not sure how this could be bad, but let's just say I was THRILLED with the results of this recipe. The creamy texture and rich flavor made this a decadent and delicious treat. I want more!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use