Basic Waffle Recipe with Variations
This is the perfect easy waffle recipe, especially if you've never made them before. It's simple to make and has practically endless variations. There are some listed here, but you can come up with your own as well. Eat 'em up!
For variations on this basic waffle recipe, try these enhancements:
- Fruit Waffles — Top waffles with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 3/4 cup of sliced bananas, or 3/4 cup of canned or fresh fruit.
- Nut Waffles — Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to batter.
- Spiced Waffles — Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg to batter.
- Cheese Waffles — Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to batter.
- Leftover Meat Waffles — Add 1 cup of finely chopped ham or bacon to batter.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place eggs, milk, and shortening into bowl; beat until well blended.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to first mixture.
- Beat again until well blended.
- Cook according to your waffle iron's directions.
Read NextOld-Fashioned Hootenanny Cake