Ada's Hearty German Bean Soup
This ham-and-bean soup is simple but satisfying. Great comfort food for a rainy night! There's nothing like great bean soup recipes to satisfy.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 potato, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups baked beans (or 14-oz can pork and beans)
- 1 can (13 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon savory
- parsley for garnish
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add carrot, potato, onion and water.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except parsley.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Garnish individual servings with parsley. Soup can be thinned with a bit of milk or cream.
Read NextOld Fashioned German Goulash