Baked Eggs "uove Al Forno"
Coppa is a spicy Italian salami made from whole pork shoulder rather than ground meat. If you are unable to find it use soppresetta or Genoa salami.
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 cups mixed greens, chopped (mustard greens, chard, spinach, etc)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 pound coppa thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a skillet large enough to hold all the greens, combine the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook over moderately high heat for about 45 seconds to flavor the oil, but do not allow the garlic to brown. Add the greens and the water and cook, stirring constantly, until the greens are wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the greens to a shallow, 10-inch ovenproof gratin dish or casserole. Arrange the coppa atop the greens in a circle around the outsdie of the gratin dish, leaving the center open for the eggs.
- Lay the mozzarella slices on top of the coppa. Carefully crack the eggs onto the greens in the center of the dish. Some of the eggs may overlap the coppa and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the white are set and the yolks are still runny. Serve immediately in the gratin dish.
Serve the eggs with slices of herbed focaccia or toasted peasant bread