Deep Fried Cheese
If you have ever been to a U.S. state like Wisconsin or Vermont that pride themselves on their cheese, then you probably have tried some of their deep fried cheese. Have fried cheese just like they came from one of these states with this incredible Fried Cheese recipe.
- 1/2 onion
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 ounces long grain rice
- 4 fluid oz chicken stock
- 1 grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ounce lean cooked ham
- 1 1/2 ounce Mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce fine fresh bread crumbs
- Oil for deep frying
1) Peel and finely chop onion.
2) Melt butter in a saucepan and fry onion till transparent.
3) Add rice and stir over a low heat for 2 minutes.
4) Stir in stock, cover and bring to boil.
5) Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes till rice is tender.
6) Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan, nutmeg and seasoning.
7) Leave to cool completely.
8) Chop ham finely.
9) Cut mozzarella into 4 sticks about 1 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
10) Break egg on to a plate and beat lightly with a fork.
11) Spread breadcrumbs on another plate.
12) Beat a little egg and the ham into rice.
13) Put 2 Tbsp rice mixture in palm of one hand.
14) Place a cheese stick on top and cover with more rice.
15) Pat into a cylinder shape about 2 1/2 inches long and 1 inch thick.
16) Brush beaten egg over croquette, then coat with breadcrumbs.
17) Shape and coat three more croquettes.
18) Chill for 1 hour.
19) Heat oil in deep fryer to 360 F. Fry the croquettes for 5-6 minutes till golden.
20) Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.
Read NextSeasoned Butter Spread