The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Make Sloppy Joes
By: The Editors of RecipeLion.com
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We all know how to make sloppy joes using canned sauce and ground beef, but it's easier than you think to make homemade sloppy joes. Use these simple recipes and watch our how-to video for great tips and tricks for making sloppy joes.
If you've never made your own sloppy joes, you probably have no idea how easy it really is! Canned sloppy joe sauce is typically a combination of tomato sauce, onions, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings and a few other ingredients. Many of the items you use to make homemade sloppy joe sauce are probably already in your pantry right now - and if they aren't, they are generally cheap ingredients that you won't mind having around. Homemade sloppy joe sauces often use tomato sauce and/or paste, onions, peppers, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Try the recipe below for a traditional, homestyle sloppy joe sauce that the whole family will love.
Table of Contents
This classic sloppy joe recipe uses ground beef and tomato sauce. The simple combination of every day ingredients will make this a quick weeknight meal for the whole family.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 15-oz cans tomato sauce or more
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat until beef is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon onto buns and serve.
There are, of course, thousands of combinations of ingredients that will produce delicious sloppy joes. Try some of the variations below.
- Spicy food lovers will go crazy for Hot and Spicy Sloppy Joes
- Don't eat beef? No problem. Garden Sloppy Joes are veg-friendly, as are Tofu Sloppy Joes. Turkey Joes are perfect for those who prefer poultry to red meat.
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Sloppy Joes are great for cooking novices, or those with busy schedules. Also try Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce Sloppy Joes.
Betty's Made From Scratch Sloppy Joes
You may serve this plain over hamburger buns, or dress it up a bit by using Kaiser buns, spread with sandwich spread, with a few thin slices of tomato,or place the sloppy Joe mix on a Kaiser bun, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, and a few jalapeno slices - or be creative and add anything you like! It's great with just about any sandwich topper!
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
8 ounce can tomato sauce
10 3/4 ounce can condensed tomato soup
Dash of bottled hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over 1 pound of ground beef, and then brown the ground beef over low heat, stirring constantly, until all pink is gone and the beef is crumbly.
- Add onion, celery, tomato sauce, tomato soup, hot pepper sauce, and chili powder. Stir, until completely combined.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- 21 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
- How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
- How to Make the Best Amish Pie, Plus 18 More Free Amish Recipes
- How To Use Up Lemons: 7 Luscious Lemon Recipes
- How to Make Sloppy Joes
- How to Make French Fried Onions
- How to Make Apple Pie Filling
- How to Grill the Perfect Steak
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes