Creamy Chicken and Buttermilk Dumplings
This easy instant pot recipe puts comfort food on your table in no time!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This is comfort food at its finest. Creamy Chicken and Buttermilk Dumplings is the perfect Sunday evening recipe, the dinner that will warm you from the inside out, the meal that every family member can agree on. This specific chicken and dumpling recipe is made with a multi pot or an instant pot, which means that hours of slaving away in the kitchen have been drastically decreased. The portions of this recipe can be easily adjusted, which means that you could double this recipe and then dine out on the leftovers for weeks to come. And, for once, no one in the house will complain about eating leftovers!
Be sure to ENTER TO WIN the Souspreme MultiPot to use for making this recipe! Leave a comment on this page and you will receive a bonus entry. Plus, don't miss the grand prize giveaway including one of each prize featured in the 12 Days of Christmas in July!
Preparation Time1 hr 15 min
Cooking MethodPressure Cooker
- For the Chicken:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 4 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 cup 35% heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- For the Buttermilk Dumplings:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Want dumplings for dessert? Try these Easy Apple Pie Dumplings
Creamy Chicken and Buttermilk Dumplings Recipe
For the Chicken:
Place onion, leeks, celery, carrots and rosemary in removable cooking pot in the multi pot. Season chicken all over and inside the cavity with salt and pepper. Place on top of veggies. Pour broth over top.
Close the lid. Lock and seal it in place. Press the COOKING MODE button until the CHICKEN indicator light is illuminated. P13 (13 minutes) will show on the LED display. Increase time to 40 minutes. When cooking is complete, multi pot will beep.
Let pressure release on its own, or press Instant Pressure Release Button for quick release. Do not hold vent knob open. Safety Note: Using quick release method will release extremely hot steam into the air. This can cause burns. Please use oven mitts to protect your hands and arms, and keep all body parts, including the face, away from the steam vent.
Once steam is released, carefully turn lid clockwise to unlock it. Remove removable cooking pot using oven mitts for safety. Ensure chicken is minimum internal temperature of 180ºF. Carefully remove chicken; let cool slightly. Shred chicken with 2 forks and return to inner pot; set aside.
For the Buttermilk Dumplings:
In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened and batter comes together; evenly drop batter into 6 portions over chicken mixture.
Close the lid. Lock and seal it in place. Press the COOKING MODE button until the CHICKEN indicator light is illuminated. P13 (13 minutes) will show on the LED display. Increase time to 20 minutes. When cooking is complete, multi pot will beep. Let pressure release on its own, or press Instant Pressure Release Button for quick release. Do not hold vent knob open.
Once steam is released, carefully turn lid clockwise to unlock it. Remove removable cooking pot using oven mitts for safety. Remove Dumplings from inner pot. Stir in cream and chives. Serve chicken with Dumplings.
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of August 1st, 2019.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until July 31st, 2019 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
What is your favorite traditional chicken recipe?
Answer below to receive an extra entry to the contest!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
This delicious hot milk sponge cake was made famous in the 1950s, but is still completely delicious now. Hot milk might not sound the… Continue reading: "Made Famous by the 50s Cakevideocam"
- Easy Chicken Cacciatore
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Dump-and-Bake Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake
- 30 Minute No Fry Chicken
- La Preferida Chicken and Black Bean Wrap
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 5-Ingredient Stupid Chicken
- Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry
- One Pot Slow Cooker Chicken
- Copycat KFC Fried Chicken Recipe
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup
- Baked Spiced Salmon Fillet
- Christmas Stollen
- Crunchy Baked Chicken Corden Bleu
- Air Fryer Toasted Bagels
- Air Fryer Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin
- Instant Pot Mushroom And Swiss Frittata
- Baked Brie
- Easy No-bake Granola Bars Recipe
- Delicious Christmas Breakfast Ideas
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes