Vintage Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time45 min
- 1 1/2 pound fresh broccoli (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (4-ounce) sleeve butter crackers, crushed
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Cut the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces and the tender stems into small dice. Place in a large microwaveable bowl, add 1/2 cup water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for about 5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender. Drain well and place in the prepared baking dish.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until the flour has been absorbed and the mixture turns light yellow with large dry bubbles. Add the evaporated milk, salt, and pepper and cook, whisking, until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Add the Swiss cheese and sour cream and stir until the cheese has melted.
Pour the sauce over the broccoli in the baking dish and stir gently. Mix the cheddar cheese, paprika, and crackers and top the casserole in an even layer. Bake for about 40 minutes, until bubbling and the top is golden brown. Slice and serve.
Read NextLazy Lasagna With Ravioli
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use