Italian Vegetable Popover Pizza
Who doesn't love pizza? Well how about pizza in a pan? This Italian Vegetable Popover Pizza makes one heck of an easy casserole recipe. With a whole pizza in a pan like this, you'll have an easy dinner recipe great for any night of the week.
Cooking MethodOven, Casserole
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce (or 2 cups homemade tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9" baking pan.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the zucchini, green peppers, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and broccoli and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Strain, if needed.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, oregano, basil, marjoram, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Set the pan in the oven to keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and remaining tablespoon of oil and beat to blend.
- Add the flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and beat until smooth.
- Remove the vegetable mixture from the oven and pour the egg mixture over it, covering the ingredients completely.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
Read NextSour Cream Hash Brown Bake