Easy Tamale Pie
Tamale pie is a family favorite. Try this cheesy beefy tamale pie casserole for dinner tonight. It makes enough for leftovers the next day!
Cooking Time45 min
Cooking MethodCasserole, Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 (1-pound cans) cream style corn
- 2 (8-ounce cans) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4-ounce can) diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup (2 1/4-ounce can) drained sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic in skillet; drain off excess fat. Combine meat, seasonings, corn, tomato sauce, chiles, and olives. Pour into 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Combine evaporated milk, water, butter, and cornmeal in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and eggs until blended. Spread corn meal mixture evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees F) 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.