Bugs Bunny's Favorite Carrot Casserole
Offer your family a tasty twist on a casserole dish with Bugs Bunny's Favorite Carrot Casserole. Champion of all budget casserole recipes, Ritz crackers and carrots are cheap and delicious, and Vitamin B12 in carrots strengthens your eyesight!
Though the topping adds flavor, the carrot portion is very tasty on its own, so topping may be eliminated altogether.
Cooking Time30 min
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tube Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the carrots into 1-inch pieces and boil till tender. Drain and mash. (May process in blender or food processor for a few seconds.)
- Chop onion and saute in half the butter till softened. Do not brown.
- Whisk in flour, then milk, and continue cooking till the sauce is thickened.
- Add mashed carrots and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a buttered [or spray with Pam] 9x13 baking dish. [Can use a smaller, square or round dish to reduce the quantity of topping]
- Make topping: crush cracker and mix with remaining butter, melted. Sprinkle topping on carrots.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes. If casserole is prepared in advance and refrigerated, increase baking time at least 10 minutes.
Read NextChicken Tetrazzini