Colonial Williamsburg Queen's Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"The Raleigh Tavern's Bake Shop in Colonial Williamsburg is a favorite destination for Virginia tourists. Queen's Cake, a dense buttery pound cake studded with currants and bursting with bright citrus flavor, is one of the bakery's most popular items. Now you can enjoy this easy dessert in your own kitchen with just a handful of simple ingredients -- no vacation necessary! Not to be confused with a Queen Victoria Sponge Cake (which is a layer cake with jam in the middle) or a Russian King's Cake (a chocolate layer cake), the Queen's Cake from Colonial Williamsburg is a recipe from 18th century England that has been updated for modern baking. The Colonial Queen Cakes were enjoyed in Virginia homes during the Colonial times, and one of the first known published recipes dates back to The Art of Cookery, Made Plain and Easy from 1760. This colonial Queen's Cake is a citrus pound cake that's baked in a loaf pan and studded with an abundance of dried currants. It's dense, buttery, sweet and oh-so-decadent! One small slice is all you need to instantly transport you to a different era. "
Preparation Time20 min
Chilling Time2 hr
Cooking Time1 hr 30 min
Cooking Vessel Size8 x
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Cookie Crusted Cheesecake Bars are quite possibly the easiest and most delicious morsels you'll ever make! If you love cheesecake and… Continue reading: "Cookie Crusted Cheesecake Barsvideocam"
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Heart-Healthy Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Crazy Cake
- Extra Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Korean Chicken Wings
- Poached Eggs With Mock Béarnaise Sauce
- Creamy Cheesy Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
- Potato Egg Casserole
- Cheese Omelet In A Mug: 2 Minutes Recipe
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes