Amish Friendship Cake
My German grandmother always bakes apple cake made from scratch, and it's like nothing else I've ever had! The Amish also bake this traditional German apple cake recipe, but here in the U.S. it's called Amish Friendship Cake.
Here's one recipe for Amish Friendship Bread Starter/Yeast Starter.
Cooking Time1 hr
- For Batter:
- 2 cups yeast starter (see NOTES section below for one recipe)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For Streusel:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (try walnuts)
- 4 small apples, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For Batter: Combine yeast starter, oil, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix until smooth.
- For Streusel: Combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, oatmeal, nuts, and cinnamon to create a coarse streusel.
- Pour half of batter in a well-greased 9x13-inch pan.Cover batter in pan with apple slices.
- Crumble half of the streusel topping over the apples. Add rest of batter and top with remaining streusel topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes.