Best Make Ahead Potato Breakfast Casserole
This past holiday season I experimented with many easy breakfast casserole recipes. But there was one that stood out in simplicity and taste, that's the Best Make Ahead Potato Breakfast Casserole. Inspired by Betty Crocker and tweaked and tested to my personal taste, you won't find a better make ahead breakfast casserole - in my opinion! You can easily store this the night before to toss in the next morning, or bake right away.
- 1/2 pound breakfast pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup egg subsitute
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, (if baking day of).
- Make sure to spray a 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook pork sausage (adding onion and tomato half way through) over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fully cooked.
- In large bowl, toss sausage mixture, potatoes and cheeses. Spoon into baking dish.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs, egg subsitute, milk, sour cream and all spices with a fork or wire whisk until well blended. Pour over potato mixture.
- You can store this in the fridge covered overnight, or bake right away if desired. (If baking the next day, make sure to make the cornflake mixture for topping on the day of, see below).
- Bake uncovered 35 minutes. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix cornflake crumbs and melted butter.
- Remove dish from oven long enough to sprinkle cornflakes over casserole.
- Bake another 10 to 15 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Breakfast"
In this great collection of breakfast recipes you will find savory breakfast recipes, scrumptious sweet treats for breakfast, and much more. Enjoy!
Don't forget to subscribe for free recipes!