Brazilian Coffee Beef Stew
- 1 onion (medium), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound round steak, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 1/2 tsp oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 6 mushrooms (medium), quartered
- 2 carrots (medium), cut into thin rounds
- black pepper
Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or a large sauce pan until they are soft but not brown (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. remove and reserve. Raise the heat to medium-high and brown the beef cubes. Season with black pepper. Save with the onion and garlic. Lower the heat to medium and melt the margarine or butter in the pot and stir in the flour until it is well blended. Do not let it burn. Add the wine, coffee and herbs and stir with a whisk until it slightly thickens and is well mixed. Return the meat and onions to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes. Add the mushrooms and carrots. Simmer 35 minutes longer. Serve with rice or noodles.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use