Goat cheese is creamy and mild-flavored when a few weeks old, it becomes crumbly and sharper tasting as it matures. Try making these toasts with a younger cheese and sprinkle them with fresh herbs and edible flowers. This is a great passable appetizer.
For even more great appetizer recipes, check out the RecipeLion Healthy Recipes All-Year Round eCookbook.
- 1 pound country-style round bread loaf, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove
- 6 ounces soft mild goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup mixed fresh herbs and edible flowers such as chives, basil, thyme, chervil, scented geranium and marigold, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat broiler. Wash herbs well and spin dry.
2. In a shallow baking pan broil bread slices about three inches from heat one minute, or until tops are golden. Turn over slices and broil one minute, or until golden.
3. Rub one side of each toast with garlic and spread with goat cheese. Cut toasts into thirds and arrange on a platter. Drizzle toasts with oil and sprinkle with herbs and flowers. Season toasts with pepper.