Country Potato Apple Soup
Not too salty, not too sweet, Country Potato Apple Soup is a nice blend of the two that creates a full bodied flavor unlike any other creamy potato soup. The spices add to what will soon become a seasonal classic and family favorite.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Diced unpeeled apple (optional)
- In large sauce pot, heat oil. Add apples, potato, celery, onion, and thyme. Saute 10 minutes.
- Stir in wine and simmer 2 minutes; add broth and simmer 45 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree soup mixture. Return to sauce pot; over very low heat, stir in cheese, cream, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Cook just until heated through--do not boil or cheese will curdle. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish, if desired, diced apples.