Arabic Lentil Soup
This could be one of the best lentil soup recipes ever! This creamy Arabic Lentil Soup is filled with the flavors and spices of middle eastern cuisine. The broth is rich and thick, making this soup the perfect compliment to an evening spent indoors.
- 2 cups dried red or yellow lentils
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Wash the lentils under cold running water. Set aside.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the lentils, onion, tomato, and garlic. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the lentils are quite tender.
- In a frying pan, cook the onion in butter until very soft and starting to brown. Remove from the heat. Add the onions to the lentil mix and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pan and cook for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the cumin, salt and pepper. Adjust the seasoning to taste, if necessary.
- Just before serving, swirl in the additional butter.