Rustic Garlic Potato Soup
Creamy and comforting, potato soup recipes are always a hit with the family. Rustic Garlic Potato Soup has a bold flavor that will have you eating spoonful after spoonful. Onions, mushrooms and fresh thyme give this luscious soup a great flavor that you will not be able to resist. Easy to make, it's a great recipe that will warm you up and leave you feeling full.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
- 4 cups red potatoes, scrubbed, skins left on, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and ends removed, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 pinches fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 cup shredded garlic flavored cheese or your choice of cheese
Melt one tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add carrot slices and saute until their color begins to change, about 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms and saute two minutes.
Add remaining tablespoon of butter and the onion; saute 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes.
Add potatoes and two cups of the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Transfer 1 cup of the mixture to a blender or food processor; puree until smooth.
Transfer contents of skillet to a saucepan. Return pureed mixture to saucepan as well.
Stir in remaining broth and milk; season with Kosher salt and black pepper. Add fresh thyme.
Bring to a low boil for a few minutes. Reduce to a low and simmer for 15 minutes to allow soup to thicken. Stir in garlic cheese and simmer until cheese is completely melted.
Read NextOld Fashion Beef Vegetable Soup