Hot Welsh Rarebit
Welsh rarebit is a comfort food a bit like grilled cheese, but the toast is covered in a cheesy, buttery sauce, unlike self-contained grilled cheese sandwich recipes. This Hot Welsh Rarebit recipe calls for hot mustard and cayenne pepper for a kick.
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon hot mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons beer or milk
- In a bowl, cream the butter well and stir in the mustard, salt, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, cheese and beer or milk.
- Toast the slices of bread on one side only, spread the butter mixture on the un-toasted side and brown under a hot broiler.
- Add a poached egg for a Buck Rarebit.
Read NextSympathy Sandwiches