Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
Sometimes nothing beats the taste of a classic, homemade egg salad sandwich. This version has all the traditional ingredients: hard-boiled eggs, onion, celery, mayo, and mustard. With this easy egg salad recipe, you'll have something delicious that everyone already knows and loves to bring with you to any event. Whether you serve this dish by itself, or make bite-sized club sandwiches by adding layers of lettuce and bread, it will be a go-to recipe you'll be happy to have on reserve.
For more great sandwich recipes and more, try our 15 Best Picnic Recipes.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped and including some of the green top (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 large stalk celery, cut into fine dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle relish and mustard. Add chopped eggs, onion and celery and mix well. Add salt and pepper and stir. Chill in a covered container until ready to serve.
To make (4) Club Sandwiches, You'll need
- 12 slices firm white or wheat bread, crusts removed if desired
- Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried well
- Cut crusts from bread to form perfect squares, spread 2 heaping tablespoons egg salad on 9 of the slices. Top with lettuce cut to fit and stack them: bread, filling, lettuce, bread, filling, lettuce. Top with the final bread squares and cut in two diagonally; use a serrated knife and gently press down on the sandwich to make it hold together. Chill, well wrapped, until ready to serve.