Spinach Pecan Rice Dressing
Bored with the same old side dishes? Try this Spinach Pecan Rice Dressing recipe as a complement to your meal. This spinach dressing incorporates sausage and Granny Smith apples for a unique combination of flavors your family is sure to love.
- This dish can easily be made vegetarian by omitting the sausage.
- Rinse the raw rice very well to ensure minimal stickiness.
- Salting rice prior to cooking can give it a better overall flavor.
Check out other recipes from Addie K. Martin of Culicurious.
Preparation Time35 min
Cooking Time40 min
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sausage, either smoked or chaurice, diced
- 2 cups onions, small diced
- 1 1/2 cup celery, small diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 16 ounces bag of frozen spinach
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled and large diced
- 1/2 cup green onion tops, sliced
- 3 cups white rice, cooked (preferably long grain or Jasmine)
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Before you start prepping, remove the spinach from the freezer and allow it to begin thawing.
- As you start prepping, put the rice on to cook as well. This way it is ready and still hot by the time you need it for the finished dish.
- In a pot, heat butter on medium-high heat and add the sausage, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt. Cook until sausage is rendered, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and celery and cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Next add in the pecans. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, until pecans are very moist looking and well incorporated into the veggies and sausage.
- Then add the spinach and stir very well. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Stir every few minutes to ensure that the spinach breaks up completely.
- While this is cooking, taste test to be sure that you have added enough salt. If needed, adjust the seasoning.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and add in the apple, green onions, and rice. Keep the pot on the flame while you mix to ensure that everything is heated well.
- Place on a serving platter and enjoy!