Pizza Rustica is an authentically Italian pizza. It's packed with delicious Italian meats - vegetarians need not apply!
Need other great ideas for leftover ham? Check out our 15 yummy recipes!
For even more great leftover ham recipes, check out 11 Exciting Leftover Ham Recipes, Videos and Cooking Tips.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter (1/2 cup) cut into bits
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 9 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 3 pounds ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound prosciutto coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound cooked ham coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound salami (preferably soppresseta) coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese cut in small pieces
- 6 ounces Romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- egg wash made by beating 1 large egg
- yolk with pinch salt and 1 tsp water
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt, add the butter, and blend the mixture until it resembles meal. Stir in the oil and 1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a soft dough. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface until it is smooth and chill it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 30 minutes.
- Halve the dough, roll half of it into a circle 1/8 inch thick, and fit it into a buttered 12 inch round baking pan, 2 inches deep, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Chill the shell and the remaining dough. In a very large bowl combine the eggs and stir in the ricotta, a little at a time until the mixture is blended well. Stir in the prosciutto, the ham, salami, mozzarella, Romano and the pepper and combine the filling well.
- Spoon the filling into the shell, roll the remaining dough into a circle large enough to cover the top of the pie, and arrange it over the filling. Crimp the edges together firmly, brush the pie with the egg wash, and cut large slits in the top for steam vents. Bake the pie in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, and let it sit for 15 minutes.