Easy Pantry Tuna Penne
Looking for an update on a quick homemade pasta recipe? Easy Pantry Tuna Penne, made with a few simple ingredients, gets an extra kick with crushed red pepper flakes and a dash of protein with tuna. Add a few veggies to the dish to make it a healthy weeknight dinner. This 30 minute meal can serve six people, so it's great for a larger family. If tuna is on the menu tonight, then try this tuna and pasta dish.
Serving note: If you prefer, divide pasta among 6 plates; top with sauce
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time10 min
- 1 box uncooked Dreamfields Penne
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (5-ounce) cans water-packed tuna, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes until onion becomes translucent, stirring constantly (watch carefully so garlic does not burn).
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, parsley, lemon juice and capers. Cook 1 minute; add red pepper flakes to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 3 to 5 minutes to thicken sauce, stirring frequently.
- Gently stir in tuna; heat through.
- Add pasta to sauce. Stir gently to coat.
Read NextInstant Pot Chicken Alfredo
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Oct 28, 2016
I've always loved penne and I use it in most of our pasta recipes. I like the texture and size of the pasta especially when it's already mixed with the sauce. I haven't tried penne with tuna so I'd try it one of these days. Tuna is a very healthy food, rich on omega-3 fatty acids which is great in protecting your heart. Love the penne, they look strong and sturdy.
Jul 18, 2016
I'm not usually a huge fan of tuna-related meals, but this actually sounds really good. Definitely gonna give it a go.
Aug 10, 2014
I wonder if this freezes well. The recipe would feed us for two meals. Definitely going to try it!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use