Arabian Green Beans (yakhnit Lobia)
Arabian Green Beans (Yakhnit Lobia) can be a side dish or a main dish. It has some unique flavors that blend marvelously for an authentic Arabian taste. Try this green bean recipe if you're in the mood for something different.
- 2 1/2 pounds green beans, washed and cut up
- 1/2 pound lean veal meat, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (turkey schnitzel works)
- 1/2 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fry the meat and onions in a greased non-stick frying pan. (optional: first microwave onions with a little olive oil to speed up process)
- Add the seasoning, then the green beans and fry 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer to another pot and add the tomato paste or tomatoes with enough water to cover.
- Cover the pan and cook on a medium high heat until sauce is thick (about one hour). Serve with rice or couscous.