Yemenite Eggplant Salad with Currants
A little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, this eggplant salad recipe is a real treat for your taste buds. It can be served as a side dish or a vegetarian main course. It will have all your guests talking about how wonderful eggplant recipes are!
Cooking Time55 min
- 1 eggplant (1-1/4 to 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Place in strainer and sprinkle with salt.
- Drain about 30 minutes.
- Heat the 1/4 cup of oil in pan and sauté onions about 5-10 minutes, until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices, cooking until tomatoes and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and currants, stir and transfer to bowl.
- Add the 2 tablespoons oil to pan and cook eggplant about 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Add to tomato mixture.
- Add mint and cilantro and combine well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill. Best if made a day in advance.
Read NextAfghan Lamb Stew with Spinach