Afghan Chicken Kebabs
Chicken marinated with yogurt is a classic Middle Eastern flavor. Serve this dish with pita and vegetables.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 1/2 salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red or black pepper
- 3 centiliters garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- flatbread such as lavash pita or flour tortillas
- 3 tomatoes sliced
- 2 onions sliced
- cilantro to taste
- 2 lemons or 4 limes quartered
1. Mix yogurt, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl. Mix chicken with yogurt and marinate 1 to 2 hours at room temperature, up to 2 days refrigerated. Thread chicken on skewers and grill over medium hot coals.
2. Place warmed pita bread on plates (if using tortillas, toast briefly over flame), divide meat among them, top with tomato and onion slices and cilantro and fold bread over. Serve with lemon or lime quarters for squeezing.