Overnight Tomato Zucchini Lasagna Casserole
Your whole family will love this tasty Overnight Tomato Zucchini Lasagna Casserole recipe! As the weather begins to cool, it's nice to warm up with comfort casserole recipes like this one, especially when they can be made ahead of time!
See this recipe and more in 18 Delicious Make Ahead Casseroles.
Cooking Time40 min
- 1 1/2 jar roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup wholewheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 salt (optional)
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 5 cups zucchini, sliced
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped and divided
- Saute onion and garlic in nonstick skillet in a teaspoon of water or broth until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Place in food processor with red peppers, bread crumbs, vinegar, salt, red and black pepper, and liquid smoke. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- If you have time, broil the zucchini slices until blackened. If not, microwave a few minutes until crisp-tender and then pour onto paper towel to blot excess moisture.
- Broil the tomato slices until blackened (they taste better that way, and the process evaporates the excess juice).
- Arrange 3 noodles in the bottom of an 11" x 7" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Top with 1/2 of the zucchini slices, 1/2 of the tomatoes, 1/4 c. of fresh basil, and about 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Finish with a layer of noodles, then top with rest of sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with a couple of nice basil sprigs.
Read NextNo Pasta Zucchini Lasagna