Enjoy your healthy turkey sausage in homemade Skillet Lasagna! Cooking lasagna unconventionally on a skillet takes half as long as cooking lasagna in the oven, making this recipe the best lasagna recipe for anyone in a hurry.
Wrapping lasagna noodles in a clean kitchen towel before breaking into quarters prevents them from scattering around your countertop.
The attractive ruffled edge of regular lasagna noodles adds to this dish's visual appeal. No-boil noodles can be used instead of the regular lasagna noodles, if desired. Reduce cooking time of noodles to 10-12 minutes; proceed as recipe directs.
Fresh whole milk ricotta cheese is preferred in this recipe for its smooth texture. Look for fresh ricotta cheese at the deli. Drain off excess liquid before using.
- 1 jar (24-26 ounce) marinara sauce
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 8 ounces (250 gram) lasagna noodles
- 1 pound (500 gram) bulk hot Italian turkey sausage or sausage links, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 ounces (60 gram) Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- 1 cup (250 mL, 8-ounce) fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) black pepper, coarsely ground
- additional Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Combine sauce and water in 12 inch skillet. Cover; bring to a boil.
- Wrap noodles in clean kitchen towel and break crosswise into quarters. Stir noodles into sauce. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 16-18 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occassionally.
- As noodles cook, place sausage into 10 inch skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is not longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add pressed garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir sausage into noodles and sauce.
- Meanwhile, grate Parmesan cheese. Chop parsley; set aside 1 tablespoon (15 mL) parsley for garnish.
- Combine cheeses, remaining parsley and black pepper in bowl. Scoop cheese mixture over noodles. Cover skillet and simmer gently 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and ricotta mixture is heated through.
- To serve, sprinkle lasagna with reserved parsley and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Read NextLazy Day Lasagna