Nandi's Chicken Curry with Tomatoes
Nandi is a master of curry recipes. If you've ever wondered how to make chicken curry, then he is the guy to meet. After years of perfecting his curry, he has come up with this amazing chicken curry with tomatoes recipe. And now you can try it too!
Trying to figure out what else you can do with all those fabulous tomatoes? Try one (or more!) of these 22 tempting tomato recipes!
Cooking Time45 min
- 3 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 medium yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream (NOT low-fat)
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 quart stewed tomatoes, chopped, drained
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, whole
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, whole
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger, dry, powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder, mild
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 12 cardamom pods, cracked, seeds removed
- Cut chicken breasts into 1/2" x 1" chunks. Place in glass bowl and set aside.
- In a hot dry cast iron skillet, dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds for 30-60 seconds. Do not burn. Remove roasted seeds from skillet.
- Open cardamom pods and remove the black seeds. Discard the woody pods. Add toasted cumin and coriander seeds and other spices to a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Sprinkle all the powdered spices over the chicken pieces and mix well with a spoon. Be sure all the chicken pieces are coated with the spice mixture. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in tava, wok, or large saute pan. Heat oil and add chopped onions. Saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds. Remove onions and garlic from pan and set aside.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and add some more oil to the pan and saute the chicken pieces a few at a time until browned. Set the browned chicken aside and saute more until all the chicken has been browned. Do not overheat the pan as this will burn the spices stuck to the pan. If the spices on the bottom of the pan are burned, then wash the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the sauteed onions and garlic. Add chicken broth to pan. Mix ingredients well, deglazing the browned spices off the bottom of pan.
- Simmer chicken uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, about 45 minutes. Add drained tomato chunks. Continue to simmer another 5 minutes or so. The liquid should be reduced so that it is the thickness of gravy.
- Mix the sour cream and the plain yogurt together well. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream-yogurt mixture. Serve immediately over plain basmati rice.
Read NextAam Lhassi